Sunday, February 11, 2007

 

Apple wants you to watch the new Get a Mac ad. Cancel or allow?

Vista SecurityI'm not sure I want to talk about this, but, well I feel that I owe it to you. Last night, for the first time, I used Vista. I know, I know—I'm not proud of it. Believe me. I was just helping move my friend's data from her old computer to her brand new laptop, which just happened to be loaded with Vista. I didn't mean for it to go this way.
Anyway, this morning, I woke up to find that Apple had released a new ad, this time dealing with Vista's security. And for the first time, I really, genuinely laughed my ass off at a Get a Mac ad. Because it was spot on.
You see, every time you try to do anything that could remotely be construed as a security risk, Vista asks you if you're sure. It's just one of many features that has made me dub Vista the "Operating System Most Likely to Make You Want to End Your Pathetic Existence."
The thing that just confounds me, as I noted to my friend after growling in frustration at dismissing the confirmation dialog box for the umpteenth time, was that it doesn't ask you for any sort of security verification. If you want to do something in OS X that requires administrator approval, you have to enter your password (even if you're logged in as administrator). Whereas in Vista, it just asks you if you're sure; if you are, you click "Continue." That's it. Look MS, security that gets in the way of what you want to do is almost worse than no security at all. Because if you make it too obtrusive, people are just going to turn it off.
My biggest disappointment was that after spending ten minutes trying to figure out how to get Flip 3D, the Exposé knockoff, to work, I discovered that it wouldn't because it was Vista Home Basic. You know what, Microsoft? Bite me. I was willing to give you a shot, but you blew it. Also, everything in your operation pulses, glows, or flashes. Please hire at least one person who knows something about design. Cheers.


(Via MacUser.)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?